Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Enough is enough


So all of a sudden Kevin Durant is a terrible basketball player because he couldn't bench press 185 pounds. Last time I checked Charles Oakley couldn't hit a 3-pointer, but that didn't seem to keep him from being an NBA star.


I remember a little over a year ago, scout flipping out that another kid from Texas, Vince Young, shouldn't be a high draft pick because his Wonderlic score equaled that of Corky from Life Goes On. Well, what happened in the end, Young turned out to be a stud with incredible football instincts and knowledge.


Now take a look at Durant. At any point during his domination of college basketball does it appear that this kid can't play in the NBA. Sure he is thin, sure he needs to put on muscle mass, but if for some reason, any NBA team other than Portland passes on this kid, they will be kicking themselves about as hard as us Pistons fans did for drafting Darko.


Not to mention I have heard all this Sports Radio guys like Colin Cowherd and Mike Greenberg claim they could easily bench 185 pounds. I highly doubt that.


Let's all remember that this kid is 18. He still has some growing to do and he is already a freak of a basketball player.


Granted Costanzo can do more bench reps than the guy, but I think Costanzo can also atest that his ability to do a bench press doesn't make him a good basketball player. I have seen him play. So, give Durant a break.

3 comments:

The Costanzo said...

He's right, I am stronger than Kevin Durant, yet couldn't beat his unborn child in a game of one-on-one.

Turner said...

I'm almost 21 and can't even grow facial hair (let's not even talk about my bench press), and that hasn't stopped me from being the most dominant lawn darts player in the midwest. Durant will be more than fine: his size will hurt him more in night club brawls than on the basketball court.

Anonymous said...

I'd have to disagree with you on that - I believe Costanzo's got a shot at this one... We'd have to see how well Durant could play with a bloody nose because someone always ends up with one, right ellisd? :)

Troy